First, I would like to take a moment and celebrate a milestone for me. This is the 600th Post for In Like Flynn, something I honestly wasn't sure I'd ever see when I started all of this. Thankfully, I've stuck with it, and I was very proud to see 600 posts come up when I logged in to post my blog entry for today. Woohoo!
Second, this is the last location post for the World of Samardan campaign setting. After this post, we are diving straight in with the Hall of Infamy, developing a list of the top seven bad guys for the setting so we have antagonists to pit against our protagonists.
(hex) Rekmader, the Forest of PlentyAmbiance: This small forested area is teaming with life, particularly herds of wild yurlathi. Surprisingly, these woods appear to be free of major predators, save for the occasional pile of skulls arranged along game trails. Their orderly arrangement suggests an intelligent presence, even if no other sign is immediately visible.
History: Rekmader has always been known for its good hunting. The ownership of the land is continually contested as new warlords strive to take the land from its previous owner. Recently, a tribe of primitive morsudkomi has taken residence in the woods, chasing the previous tenants from their watchtower.
Encounters: Herds of wild yurlathi inhabit this region, along with a number of smaller herbivores. A tribe of the four-armed morsudkomi also inhabit these woods, keeping the area clear of major predators. Common encounters and hazards include falling trees, crude man-traps, kandori nests, and the webs of a roving rivrakkat.
Treasure: Yurlathi are the most common form of livestock on Samardan, and herds of wild yurlathi sell well in the market as breeding stock. .
Adventure Hooks: Adventure hooks for this site could include the following:
- Among certain tribes of Husrani, morsudkomi cubs are considered pets. Tamar Geshkan, the wandering merchant, has standing offers for living morsudkomi cubs, in order to maintain strong trading relations with such tribes.
- Kado Sumanatan, a yurlathi rancher, seeks new breeding stock, but does not want to buy local males because he feels they are inferior to his herds. He is soliciting outlanders with animal skills to find and drive a herd of wild yurlathi from Rekmader to his ranch lands.
- Pansanu Drako Dankana, a Husrani mercenary captain, seeks additional mercenaries to join him in a strike on the morsudkomi, so that he can retake the forest they took from him.
- This season's fashionable delicacy among the nobility of Torkobalem is seared kandor with wild chili paste. The famous chef Sadabama Hikokan prefers to serve wild kandori, preferably from the Rekmader, as the meat is purpostedly tastier. Enterprising hunters are looking for men-at-arms to protect them as they hunt down and capture nests of kandori in response to Sadabama's increasing culinary needs.
- Yaranu Moro, Master of Assassins for the court of Kolgrat, will pay handsomely for fresh rivrakkat poison.
Standard Disclaimer: As I have not yet decided where to set this particular location on the map as yet, I've left a placeholder to remind me to come back to this in the future. Later on, I'll replace (Hex) with the actual hex location, when I put all of this together into a single document.