Saturday, May 22, 2010

MyD20 Lite: Referee's Guide Update...

Good Evening, All:

Some people have been asking me how the MyD20 Lite Referee's Guide is progressing. In a nutshell, it hasn't. I'm focused on the Hammersong's Legacy Campaign Setting, and being sidetrekked by Stellar Quest ruminations. However, I thought it would be good to review where I'm at on that project, and what lies ahead before it is ready for layout and release.

Here are the outstanding elements that remain to be completed:
  • Training and downtime
  • Duties, taxes and other fees
  • Gods and pantheons
  • Guilds
  • Magical research
  • Orders and organizations
  • Royalty and nobility
  • Slavery
  • Strongholds and territories
  • Wars and other catastrophes
  • Many, many monsters (or just some monsters and cut down the bestiary even further...)
  • Some common monster traits
  • Some stock NPC stat blocks
  • Encounter creation advice (most of that chapter)
  • Using modules
  • Creating wilderness adventures
  • Gems & jewelry
  • Power components
  • Spells books
  • Finish magic items section
  • Monster lists (once finalized)
  • Random encounter tables
  • Finish conversion notes

Some of these elements may be removed from the list as the project moves towards completion, and others may be added. I definitely hope that, between some basic elbow grease and feedback from my peers, this book turns out to be pretty useful for Referees as more than just a reference for magic items and monsters.

Okay, looking at the list above, do any of you guys have any suggestions as to what topics are more important (or less important) to you than others? Your input will very likely help shape the direction that this book takes. The core will contain the elements I need to play the game I want to play. The rest, that which makes it a more well-rounded and usable product, will ultimately evolve as time and interest allows.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

2 comments:

James said...

I'd like to see the Referee's Guide as complete as possible.

In terms of content, if you abolutely must jettison some content, I'd do away with the DM advice sections first. Not because I don't think they are important, but because I see the main role of the MyD20 Lite Referee's Guide as providing the rules/mechanice needed to run a game.

In terms of monsters, how about including the "main" SRD monsters in the Referee's guide (perhaps those that appear in MM1 for D&D3.5 and a few of your favourites), along with your conversion notes and a conversion example. The rest of the (extensive!) list you have could be published in a later Monster supplement/Bestiary that includes the more obscure creatures.

Still, I hope you get in as much as you can!

All the best,
James

Koga305 said...

I think the DM advice is invaluable to the book, and is one of the things I appreciate most about RPG books I read. The monster list, as said by James, could use a bit of culling.
Hope it works out!