Using the format I described in the previous post, I am going to describe the third of our four examples of Interstellar Threats. Welcome to the dangerous world of Daruma!
Daruma (Segin 2605 D7CA211-A Amber Zone)
Library Data: The name of the planet Daruma strikes fear in the hearts of most Shogunate children. An exotic world with a corrosive atmosphere and covered by acidic oceans, Daruma is widely known to be the base of operations for the dreaded Koga Clan. These covert mercenaries were once hired to perform many missions for the noble families during the rule of the Fujiwara Clan, but they've have fallen on hard times since the Emishi Faction gained control of the Shogunate. This rejection by the new regime of the Shogunate has forced the Koga Clan to attack outlying communities and interstellar traders during the worst of times, reinforcing the criminal connotations given to them by the Emishi Faction media. In the Shogunate entertainment field, it is currently popular to portray powerful enemies of the heroes of holovid tales as having access to the Black Ships of the Koga Clan. The problem has become so prevalent that the Shogunate recently established a Scout base in the system to monitor and locate the Koga Clan stronghold. To date, these efforts have failed.
Black Ships of the Koga Clan
Brief Description: The Koga Clan are an extended family of covert mercenaries skilled in the arts of espionage, intrusion and assassination. Desperation after the rise of the Emishi Faction within the Shogunate has forced the family into the role of raiders and thugs, rather than the more honorable position they once held under the Fujiwara Clan. Their characteristic black ships are a dreaded sight in the spinward half of the Shogunate, due in no small part to their reputation of leaving no one alive who cannot barter for their life. It is considered unwise to pose as the Koga Clan, but their sense of honor requires that the Clan slay any outsider who uses the family name.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice: 5 Koga Shinobi, 1 Koga Senpai. Armed far trader.
- Seasoned: 15 Koga Shinobi, 3 Koga Senpai, 1 Koga Sensai. Two armed far traders, close escort.
- Veteran: 30 Koga Shinobi, 6 Koga Senpai, 2 Koga Sensai. Corsair, three close escorts.
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as stock NPCs for quick reference.
- Koga Shinobi Navy (crew) 1 786777
Comms 0, Gunnery (turret) 0, Mechanic 0, Melee (unarmed) 1, Pilot (spacecraft) 1, Sensors 0, Stealth 1, Vacc Suit 1
Snub Pistol, Toolkit, Vacc Suit.
- Koga Senpai Navy (crew) 4 697AA7
Comms 1, Engineer (life support) 1, Engineer (P-plant) 2, Gunnery (turret) 1, Leadership 1, Mechanic 1, Melee (unarmed) 2, Pilot (spacecraft) 3, Sensors 1, Stealth 2, Tactics (naval) 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero-G 1
Combat Armor (TL11), Snub Pistol, Toolkit.
- Koga Sensai Navy (flight) 3 7A68AA
Comms 1, Gun Cbt (slug pistol) 1, Gunnery (turret) 1, Leadership 2, Melee (unarmed) 3, Pilot (spacecraft) 2, Sensors 1, Stealth 3, Tactics (naval) 1, Vacc Suit 0
Combat armor (TL11), Hand computer, Snub Pistol.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The Black Ships of the Koga Clan hail the vessel and demand tribute to avoid further engagement.
- The Black Ships of the Koga Clan are engaged with an unarmed free trader, and are in the process of taking it as their own.
- The Black Ships of the Koga Clan are lying in wait, prepared to ambush anyone in the vicinity.
- The Black Ships of the Koga Clan are patrolling the region when the party encounters them.
- The Black Ships of the Koga Clan are releasing a drop capsule above a planetary site when they are encountered.
- The Black Ships of the Koga Clan are returning to Daruma with a captured free trader.
One more example to complete, and then we can look at creating a Hall of Infamy for the Beta Quadrant. Seven forces for conflict in the setting equals a lot of great adventure potential. Looking forward to it!