Friday, February 24, 2012

Fantasy Friday: Cultural Analogs and World Consolidation...

Good Afternoon, All:

Earlier this week, I started looking over my go-to general list of cultural analogs for fantasy world creation, and made a few notes regarding the Consolidated World concept I've been slowly working toward. The basic list of cultural analogs (and I include the traditional AD&D/D&D racial stereotypes as analogs as well) that I like to use can be found below. I've also included names of kingdoms or regions for my Consolidated World as a reminder to myself of campaigns in the past that I should be stealing from to help put this personal campaign setting together. In some cases, I'm using names newly created, for those instances where I haven't developed cultural analogs in that direction as yet. Obviously, I'm still reviewing my options for some of these.

In your own campaign worlds, do you use cultural analogs? If so, how many do you use, and what have you named them? (Warning: I may steal some of the better names for my own personal use, if they resonate with me.)

Cultural AnalogKingdom/Region Name
AboriginalKurai Tribes
AfrikanerAkirfa/Kwankala
Ancient EgyptSudan/Badari Dynasty
Ancient GreekSynovia
Arabic/MoorAl-Morava
AztecMazteklan
Babylonian/SumerianUbedian City-States
CaribbeanStefari Islands
CarthageKenaani League/Sydonian Hegemony
ChineseHusan/Legacy of Krang/Rokim
DwarvenDuar Triumvirate
ElvenArcadia
England/CamelotBritannia/Valeria
FranceMassalia
GaulGalatos/Keltos
GoreanPort Kar
Halfling/ValefolkVale of the Lady
Ice Age/InuitFrigea
IncaTawantin
IndonesiaBengkali
JapaneseIsles of Zai
KoreanGojosan
MayaYukatesh
MongolsDonghan Hordes
Native American TribalMerokee Lands
NorseVinland
OrcishMalnoth Tyranny
PersiaMedia
RomanAchea
RussianGardariki/Khazarea
SlavicPasalovakia
SpainIberia

Enjoy,
Flynn

No comments: