The second group I'd like to develop for my Savage Odyssey Prime campaign will be the Order of Zion. The Zionists are a multi-world cabal of plane-travelling spellcasters with a hidden agenda. They utilize portal magic to open gates to other worlds in pursuit of their goals, and didn't take kindly to those who would intrude on the worlds they claim as their own.
Order of Zion
Brief Description: The Order of Zion are, at their core, a mystical cabal of Archmages specialized in portal magic. They are working together in pursuit of a secret agenda, claiming dimensions as their own as magical tyrants. Their numbers are growing swiftly, as the Zionists recruit the brightest and most competent locals as apprentices into their order. The transformative nature of their Initiation into the Order insures loyalty and devotion to the secret Zionist agenda over any previous goals an Apprentice might have once held.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice: 5 Guardians, 1 Zionist Apprentice.
- Seasoned: 10 Guardians, 2 Zionist Apprentices, 1 Zionist Magelord.
- Veteran: 20 Guardians, 5 Zionist Apprentices, 2 Zionist Magelords.
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
Abilities: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d6, Notice d6, Stealth d4, Throwing d6
Pace: 6; Parry: 7(2); Toughness: 7(2) [9(4) vs Ranged]
Gear: Short sword (Str+d6), Chain mail (+2 Toughness), Large shield (+2 Parry, +2 Toughness vs ranged, Shield bash Str+d6), Light Crossbow (2d6 AP 2, Rng 15/30/60, RoF 1, Reload 1)
Zionist Apprentice (WC)
Abilities: Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d4
Skills: Fighting d4, Investigation d6, Knowledge (Arcana) d6, Knowledge (Rituals) d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Spellcasting d10, Taunt d6
Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 4
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), New Power, Power Points
Gear: Dagger (Str+d4), Staff of Zion (10 Power Points: Deflection, Burst), Potion of Healing (recovers one wound)
Spells: 15 Power Points; Blind or Boost/Lower Trait, Bolt, Confusion or Entangle, Detect/Conceal Arcana or Environmental Protection
Zionist Magelord (WC)
Abilities: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d10, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d6, Intimidation d6, Investigation d8, Knowledge (Arcana) d10, Knowledge (Rituals) d10, Notice d8, Persuasion d8, Spellcasting d12, Taunt d6
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 7(2)
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), New Power (x5), Power Points (x3)
Gear: +1 Dagger (Str+d4), Greater Staff of Zion (15 Power Points: Deflection, Blast, Burst), Improved Potion of Healing (recovers two wounds), Magelord's Ring (grants +2 Toughness to unarmored wearer)
Spells: 25 Power Points; Boost/Lower Trait, Bolt, Dispel, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Entangle, Environmental Protection, Fear, Teleport
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The Zionists are ransacking a library or institute of learning when the party comes upon them.
- The Zionists are preparing for a large portal ritual when the party stumbles on the scene.
- The Zionists are searching the region, looking intensely for something, when the party encounters them.
- The Zionists are returning to their encampment after an unsuccessful raid against a nearby settlement.
- The Zionists are returning to their encampment laden with valuable goods and potentially arcane items after a successful raid against a nearby settlement.
- The Zionists challenge the party, demanding tribute to avoid unwanted attention from their spellcasters.