Friday, August 13, 2010

Random Chart: Generic Creature Names...

Good Morning, All:

It's been a while since I put out a random chart, so today I decided to post a Random Generic Creature Name chart. For this one, I have three parts, one of which is optional. The use of the optional descriptor is primarily to add some flavor to the creature, and perhaps inspire your imagination. After all, if this is a Crested Ridgeback, then what about a regular Ridgeback? The Hairless Frostspawn suggests that there may be a hairy version of the Frostspawn elsewhere in your campaign world. At any rate, I tried to make some interesting choices with the descriptor table. Approximately one-third of all creatures will have a descriptor. (You can adjust this to taste, if you so desire.)

The next two components are not optional. These are the prefix and the suffix of the monster name. For the prefix, I decided to take inspiration from a creature's origin by using terrain features for natural origins and other elements for extraplanar sources. Thus, the creature's name suggests something of where it came from. In some cases, the terrain features also resemble physical features, such as Ridge, and thus may play an optional role in the naming process. (Oh, and I mixed a few colors in there, when I ran out of inspiration that sounded good.)

As for the suffix, I took a number of different routes here. I looked for words that inspired a particular type of creature, such as referring to its attack preference (tooth, horn), its role (spawn, beast) or even its general type (drake, wolf). This was probably the hardest to come up with, but I also think it will lead to some interesting names.

The Descriptor, Prefix and Suffix tables all require the usual d66 roll: that is, roll two six-sided dice, treating one as the 'tens' digit and one as the 'ones' digit. So, a roll of a 2 and a 4 gives us a 24 as the result. As an example of how to create a Random Creature Name, I start by rolling a d6 to get a 1. Per the Creature Name Format table, that means I need to generate a Descriptor, a Prefix and a Suffix. Rolling six d6s in order, I get: 2,4,2,6,2,3. That's a d66 roll of 24, then 26, and finally 23. By consulting the Descriptor table (24), followed by the Prefix table (26) and then the Suffix table (23), I come up with a new creature name: the Deadly Godbug. Hmmmm, sounds like some kind of vermin that infests ruined temples, or given the Hammersong's Legacy setting, perhaps it is some form of scavenging vermin that feeds on the flesh of a fallen god. I immediately picture something the size and coloration of the deadly scarabs from The Mummy, only the size of a german shepherd. Ooo... I could do something with that.

Let's try it again, just to play safe and make sure it works. I start off with a 6, which tells me that I'm just going to roll for a Prefix and a Suffix. Rolling four d6s in a row, I get a Prefix result of 66, and a Suffix result of 54. Behold the Woodsnake, which could be a mobile plant or perhaps a camouflaged reptile that winds its way through the underbrush in a serpentine manner, is often mistaken for a simple vine when lying still, yet strikes swiftly and constricts its prey.

Okay, I'm comfortable that this will work for me. I hope it works for you. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to share them.

With Regards,
Flynn

Table: Creature Name Format
d6Format
1[Descriptor] [Prefix][Suffix]
2[Descriptor] [Prefix][Suffix]
3[Prefix][Suffix]
4[Prefix][Suffix]
5[Prefix][Suffix]
6[Prefix][Suffix]

Table: Creature Descriptor
d66Descriptor
11Abberant
12Arcane
13Barbed
14Bearded
15Blessed
16Bristled
21Common
22Crested
23Cursed
24Deadly
25Divine
26Fearsome
31Feathered
32Feral
33Fiery
34Finned
35Flightless
36Foul
41Frilled
42Greater
43Hairless
44Lesser
45Maned
46Miniature
51Monstrous
52Ornamental
53Plumed
54Quilled
55Scaled
56Shaggy
61Shocking
62Spiked
63Tawny
64Tufted
65Woolly
66Wretched

Table: Creature Prefix
d66Prefix
11Briar
12Brown
13Cairn
14Cave
15Chase
16Crag
21Demon
22Ebon
23Fey
24Flame
25Frost
26God
31Hell
32High
33Hill
34Ice
35Land
36Lava
41Moon
42Moor
43Night
44Red
45Ridge
46River
51Rock
52Sand
53Sea
54Shadow
55Star
56Stone
61Storm
62Swamp
63Tree
64White
65Wind
66Wood

Table: Creature Suffix
d66Suffix
11ape
12back
13bane
14beak
15bear
16beast
21bird
22biter
23bug
24calf
25cat
26choker
31claw
32drake
33fish
34gazer
35ghoul
36guard
41hawk
42horn
43lord
44mount
45ooze
46pouncer
51rat
52raven
53render
54snake
55spawn
56spitter
61stag
62talon
63tooth
64whale
65wolf
66worm

No comments: