For my next post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter focused on our favorite giant reptiles from a time before mankind walked the earth. D is for Dinosaurs.
Brief Description: Dinosaurs are a common sight on the Great Plains, even in that twisted and warped region known as the Madlands. Packs of velociraptors roam the plains, scavenging from the prey of larger beasts such as the deinonychus or megaraptor.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 3 Velociraptors, 1 Deinonychus. 2d6x5 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 10 Velociraptors, 2 Deinonychus, 1 Megaraptor. 3d6x10 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 20 Velociraptors, 4 Deinonychus, 2 Megaraptors. 4d6x20 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Velociraptor: AC 5 ; HD 2; Atk: bite (1d4), two claws (1d6); ST: 16; SP: pounce (can make both claw attacks at the end of a charge); MV: 18; CL 4; XP 120.
- Deinonychus: AC 4 ; HD 4; Atk: bite (1d6), two claws (1d8); ST: 13; SP: pounce (can make both claw attacks at the end of a charge); MV: 18; CL 6; XP 400.
- Megaraptor: AC 3 ; HD 8; Atk: bite (1d8), two claws (2d6); ST: 8; SP: pounce (can make both claw attacks at the end of a charge); MV: 18; CL 10; XP 1,400.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- In the middle of a hunt, the pack of hungry dinosaurs are pursuing herbivores when the slower-moving party comes upon the scene.
- The pack of dinosaurs treat the party as rival hunters attempting to encrouch on their territory.
- Fresh from a failed hunt, the pack of dinosaurs are returning home when they spy the party.
- Scavenging, the pack of dinosaurs are feasting on the remains of a huge beast when the party encounters them.
- The pack of dinosaurs are sleeping after a successful hunt, and do not take kindly to being interrupted.
- The dinosaurs are actually of two different packs, and are confronting one another over territory when the party comes upon the scene.