For my next post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter dealing with a race of regenerating giants and their twisted canine companions. T is for Troll.
Brief Description: The troll mastiff resembles a two-headed wolf covered with warts and stiff, wiry hair. This beast is named as much for its appearance as it is for its regenerative ability. Trolls are as tall as ogres, and just as strong. Unlike ogres, however, they attack with claws and teeth instead of weapons. Trolls regenerate, which is to say that any damage inflicted upon them heals within minutes. The only way to utterly kill a troll or a troll mastiff is to submerse it in acid or burn it. Trolls and their canine companions can even re-grow lopped-off heads and limbs.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 1 Troll Mastiff, 1 Troll. 2d6x10 silver shillings. (I use a silver standard in my campaigns.)
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 4 Troll Mastiffs, 2 Trolls, 1 Troll Warlord. 2d4x1000 silver shillings, 1d3 gems, 1d3 jewelry, two consumable items (50% chance each), and one magic item (50% chance).
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 8 Troll Mastiffs, 4 Trolls, 2 Troll Warlords. 2d6x1000 silver shillings, 2d4 gems, 1d4+1 jewelry, one magic weapon (50% chance), one magic armor (50% chance), two magic items (50% chance each), and two consumables (50% chance each).
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Troll Mastiff: AC 6 ; HD 2; Atk: two bites (1d4); ST: 16; SP: regeneration (1 hit point/round); MV: 18; CL 3; XP 60.
- Troll: AC 4 ; HD 6; Atk: one bite (1d8), two claws (1d4); ST: 11; SP: regeneration (3 hit points/round); MV: 12; CL 8; XP 800.
- Troll Warlord: AC 1 ; HD 9; Atk: one bite (1d8), two claws (1d4) or one bite (1d8) and greatsword (2d6); ST: 6; SP: regeneration (3 hit points/round); MV: 12; CL 11; XP 1,700.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The trolls are fleeing a warped monstrosity with either fire-based or acid-based attacks, and are perfectly happy to let the players distract the beast so they can get away.
- The trolls are heading toward a great gathering of their kind, which has been called by a mysterious giant leader for the purpose of war.
- The trolls are returning to their lair after retrieving their monthly tribute from a nearby settlement.
- The trolls are tormenting some prisoners before eating them when the party comes upon the band.
- The trolls attempt to demand tribute from the party in exchange for safe passage.
- The trolls have transporting prisoners back to their lair when the party comes upon them.