For my next post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter dealing with those animated corpses that feast on the flesh of humanoids. R is for Revenant.
Brief Description: The revenant is an animated corpse that has returned from the grave to feast upon the flesh of the living. As revenants often travel with ghouls and ghasts, they are often mistaken for ghouls. Unlike most undead, revenants are not mindless. Indeed, they are wickedly cunning, and can make terrible adversaries. Legend holds that revenants regenerate much like trolls, and can only be completely killed by cutting off their head, followed by burning the head and body separately.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 2 Ghouls, 1 Ghast. 2d6x5 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 4 Ghouls, 2 Ghasts, 1 Revenant. 3d6x10 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 8 Ghouls, 4 Ghasts, 2 Revenants. 4d6x20 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Ghoul: AC 6 ; HD 2; Atk: one bite (1d4), two claws (1d3 + paralytic touch); ST: 16; SP: immunity (sleep and charm), paralytic touch (target paralyzed for 3d6 turns, save negates); MV: 9; CL 3; XP 60.
- Ghast: AC 4 ; HD 4; Atk: one bite (1d6), two claws (1d3 + paralytic touch); ST: 13; SP: immunity (sleep and charm), paralytic touch (target paralyzed for 3d6 turns, save negates), stench (all adjacent targets suffer -2 penalty to attack rolls, save negates); MV: 9; CL 5; XP 240.
- Revenant: AC 2 ; HD 6; Atk: one bite (1d8), two claws (1d6); ST: 11; SP: immunity (sleep and charm), regenerate (3 hp/round, fire and acid do normal damage); MV: 12; CL 10; XP 1,400.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The undead are feasting on the corpse of an unfortunate soul when the party comes upon them.
- The undead are digging fresh graves to set up an ambush site when the party comes across them.
- The undead are harassing a small band of helpless travelers.
- The undead are returning to their lair after a successful hunt.
- The undead are marching toward a distant site, summoned by a necromancer of great power.
- The undead are patrolling the region in service to a powerful necromancer or undead master.