For my next post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter detailing encounters with patrols from the isolated villages, townships and cities that struggle to survive in the chaos that is the Madlands. X is for Xenophobic Patrol.
Brief Description: Despite the dangers of living in the Madlands, many isolated communities have survived the aftermath of the War of All Gods and have retained a foothold in the Shattered Territories. Life is hard in the Madlands, and the presence of warped abominations and shapeshifting serpentfolk has turned many simple townfolk into reclusive xenophobes. Most adventurers only encounter the outlying patrols of these communities, who discourage the adventurers from approaching any closer to the homesteads of people these patrols protect.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 5 Xenophobic Mercenaries, 1 Xenophobic Lieutenant. 2d6x10 silver shillings. (I use a silver standard in my campaigns.)
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 15 Xenophobic Mercenaries, 3 Xenophobic Lieutenants, 1 Xenophobic Captain, 1 Xenophobic Warlord. 2d4x1000 silver shillings, 1d3 gems, 1d3 jewelry, two consumable items (50% chance each), and one magic item (50% chance).
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 30 Xenophobic Mercenaries, 6 Xenophobic Lieutenants, 2 Xenophobic Captain, 1 Xenophobic Warlord. 2d6x1000 silver shillings, 2d4 gems, 1d4+1 jewelry, one magic weapon (50% chance), one magic armor (50% chance), two magic items (50% chance each), and two consumables (50% chance each).
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Xenophobic Mercenary: AC 8 ; HD 1d6+2 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d6); ST: 16; SP: xenophobic (all reactions are one category worse than normal); MV: 12; CL 1; XP: 15.
- Xenophobic Lieutenant: AC 5 ; HD 2d6+4 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d6); ST: 15; SP: xenophobic (all reactions are one category worse than normal); MV: 9; CL 3; XP: 60.
- Xenophobic Captain: AC 5 ; HD 4d6+8 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d8); ST: 13; SP: xenophobic (all reactions are one category worse than normal); MV: 9; CL 5; XP: 240.
- Xenophobic Warlord: AC 2 ; HD 8d6+16 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d8); ST: 9; SP: xenophobic (all reactions are one category worse than normal); MV: 9; CL 9; XP: 1,100.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The xenophobic patrol are luring a warped abomination away from their homestead, and are more than willing to lead it to the party, rather than put their own people at risk.
- The xenophobic patrol are performing a routine patrol of the region when the party encounters them.
- The xenophobic patrol are returning to their homestead after clearing a nearby lair; they bear the corpses of their fallen with them.
- The xenophobic patrol are transporting prisoners back to their homestead when the party comes upon them.
- The xenophobic patrol challenges the party, demanding tribute to avoid unwanted attention from the patrolmen.
- With obvious distaste, the xenophobic patrol attempts to negotiate with the party for much needed food, trade goods and general supplies.