Just a quick note: this is the 450th post I've made on In Like Flynn. Woohoo! Yay, me! Okay, back to our regularly scheduled series of posts, already in progress...
For my next post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter focused on a once-noble magical beast whose very essence has been corrupted by the chaotic energies of the blood of the Gods. U is for Unicorn.
Brief Description: Once a noble and beloved protector of the forests of Cameria, the Madlands unicorn has been twisted by the blood of the Gods into a carnivorous, nightmarish reflection of its former self. Wandering the wilderness of the Shattered Territories in small herds, the Madlands unicorn is a vicious predator with a hatred for anyone or anything that harms the environment, including those who wear leather or cloth, or who bear implements made of wood. These beasts eat meat, and enjoy the thrill of the chase.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 2 Young Unicorns, 1 Unicorn. 2d6x5 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 4 Young Unicorns, 2 Unicorns, 1 Advanced Unicorn. 3d6x10 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 8 Young Unicorns, 4 Unicorns, 2 Advanced Unicorns. 4d6x20 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Young Unicorn: AC 4 ; HD 2; Atk: one horn (1d6), two hooves (1d6); ST: 16; SP: double damage for charge, 15% magic resistance, teleport (up to 360 ft, 1/day); MV: 24; CL 3; XP 60.
- Unicorn: AC 2 ; HD 4; Atk: one horn (1d8), two hooves (1d8); ST: 13; SP: double damage for charge, 25% magic resistance, teleport (up to 360 ft, 1/day); MV: 24; CL 5; XP 240.
- Advanced Unicorn: AC 0 ; HD 8; Atk: one horn (2d6), two hooves (2d6); ST: 8; SP: double damage for charge, 45% magic resistance, teleport (up to 360 ft, 1/day); MV: 24; CL 10; XP 1,400.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The unicorns are fleeing a warped monstrosity from the depths of the Madlands, and are perfectly happy to let the players distract the beast so they can get away.
- The unicorns are returning to their lair after an unsuccessful hunt.
- The unicorns are tormenting some travelers before eating them, playing with their food, as it were, when the party comes upon the herd.
- The unicorns are sleeping after a good hunt, and do not take kindly to those who would wake them up.
- The unicorns have cornered a large herbivore and are worrying it with frequent grazing attacks, killing it slowly and cruelly.
- The unicorns are actually of two different herds, and are confronting one another over territory when the party comes upon the scene.