For my next post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter dealing with a supernatural flying beast with a penchant for fire. P is for Pyrolisk.
Brief Description: The pyrolisk resembles a large rooster with crimson feathers and a long lizard-like tail with a single tail feather. All who meet the burning gaze of the pyrolisk burst into flames. These bizarre creatures are immune to fire and can even cause normal fires to explode into a shower of pyrotechnics. Within the Madlands, these
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 2 Young Pyrolisks, 1 Pyrolisk. 2d6x5 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 4 Young Pyrolisks, 2 Pyrolisks, 1 Advanced Pyrolisk. 3d6x10 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 8 Young Pyrolisks, 4 Pyrolisks, 2 Advanced Pyrolisks. 4d6x20 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment on the corpses of previous victims.
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Young Pyrolisk: AC 6 ; HD 3; Atk: bite (1d3); ST: 14; SP: immune to fire, pyrotechnics; MV: 9, fly 21; CL 5; XP 240.
- Pyrolisk: AC 4 ; HD 6; Atk: bite (1d4); ST: 11; SP: burning gaze (2d6 fire damage, save halves), immune to fire, pyrotechnics; MV: 9, fly 21; CL 9; XP 1,100.
- Advanced Pyrolisk: AC 2 ; HD 9; Atk: bite (1d6); ST: 6; SP: burning gaze (4d6 fire damage, save halves), immune to fire, pyrotechnics; MV: 9, fly 21; CL 13; XP 2,300.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The presence of pyrolisks has started a wildfire.
- The pyrolisks are returning from an unsuccessful hunt when they come across the party.
- The pyrolisks have cornered a large herbivore and are roasting it alive with their gaze attack.
- The pyrolisks are asleep, and do not take kindly to anyone waking them up.
- The pyrolisks are chasing a flock of flying creatures when they come upon the party.
- The pyrolisks are actually of two different flocks, and are confronting one another over territory when the party comes upon the scene.