We made it! Woohoo! For my last post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter focused on a race of gorilla-men often used as slaves and laborers. Z is for Zegoth.
Brief Description: The zegoths are a gorilla-like humanoid servitor race subjugated by the Serpentfolk. Known for their strength and cruelty, they are often employed as by the serpenthfolk as warriors, enforcers and laborers. Zegoths stand about a head taller than Humans, and weigh thirty to fifty pounds more. Despite their cruel and mean-spirited nature, zegoths are considered by the serpentfolk to be the most controllable and thus most trustworthy non-reptilian race. Unless adventurers have been captured by serpentfolk and placed into slavery, they will likely only meet these gorilla-men in the form of patrols and work details. Their presence often indicates that serpentfolk are not very far away.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 5 Zegoth Warriors, 1 Zegoth Overseer. 2d6x5 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment. (I use a silver standard in my campaigns.)
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 15 Zegoth Warriors, 3 Zegoth Overseers, 1 Zegoth Champion, 1 Zegoth Warlord. 3d6x10 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment.
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 30 Zegoth Warriors, 6 Zegoth Overseers, 2 Zegoth Champions, 1 Zegoth Warlord. 4d6x20 silver shillings, basic mundane equipment.
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Zegoth Warrior: AC 8 ; HD 1d6+2 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d6+1); ST: 16; SP: Brute strength (+1 damage on melee attacks), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 12; CL 1; XP: 15.
- Zegoth Overseer: AC 5 ; HD 2d6+4 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d6+1); ST: 15; SP: Brute strength (+1 damage on melee attacks), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 9; CL 3; XP: 60.
- Zegoth Champion: AC 5 ; HD 4d6+8 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d8+1); ST: 13; SP: Brute strength (+1 damage on melee attacks), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 9; CL 5; XP: 240.
- Zegoth Warlord: AC 2 ; HD 8d6+16 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d10+1); ST: 9; SP: Brute strength (+1 damage on melee attacks), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 9; CL 9; XP: 1,100.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The zegoths are a ragtag band of escaped slaves, fleeing their serpentfolk masters in the hope of keeping their freedom.
- The zegoths are hard at work, preparing a site to serve as the encampment for a larger military unit that will be arriving within the day.
- The zegoths are patrolling the region when the party encounters them.
- The zegoths are returning to their encampment after an unsuccessful attempt to extort a tribute of trade goods and supplies from a nearby settlement.
- The zegoths are transporting prisoners from one site to another at the order of their serpentfolk masters.
- The zegoths challenge the party, demanding tribute to avoid unwanted attention from the gorilla-men.