We are almost done! For my twenty-fifth post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter dealing with beautiful demon-spirits with a taste for blood. Y is for Yakshini.
Brief Description: A type of guardian undead, yakshinis were originally summoned to look after treasures hidden in the earth. With the destruction of these treasures in the War of All Gods, these unliving guardians have been set loose upon the world, only to spread their curse through the sharing of their essence, much like vampires. Yakshinis resemble beautiful and voluptuous women, with wide hips, narrow waists, broad shoulders, and exaggerated, spherical breasts. They survive by waylaying men with their beauty and drinking their blood. Yakshinis enjoy torturing men physically and mentally, deriving immense pleasure from their sadistic predations. Given that many yakshinis are beautiful women that typically lair at the base of great trees, many adventurers hold the mistaken belief that they are nymphs or dryads that have been twisted by the blood of the Gods.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 4 Seduced Protectors, 1 Yakshini Maiden. 2d6x10 silver shillings. (I use a silver standard in my campaigns.)
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 8 Seduced Protectors, 2 Yakshini Maidens, 1 Yakshini. 2d4x1000 silver shillings, 1d3 gems, 1d3 jewelry, two consumable items (50% chance each), and one magic item (50% chance).
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 16 Seduced Protectors, 4 Yakshini Maidens, 2 Yakshini. 2d6x1000 silver shillings, 2d4 gems, 1d4+1 jewelry, one magic weapon (50% chance), one magic armor (50% chance), two magic items (50% chance each), and two consumables (50% chance each).
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Seduced Protectors: AC 8 ; HD 1d6+2 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d6); ST: 16; SP: fanaticism (will trade places with an attacked yakshini, if adjacent, and suffer the effects of the attack instead of the yakshini); MV: 12; CL 1; XP: 15.
- Yakshini Maiden: AC 5 ; HD 3; Atk: two claws (1d4 + energy drain); ST: 14; SP: damage reduction (half damage from non-magical weapons), energy drain (1 level, save negates), immunity (all mind-affecting and enchanting magic), regeneration (1 hp/round), seduction (target dominated, save negates); MV: 12; CL 7; XP 600.
- Yakshini: AC 3 ; HD 6; Atk: two claws (1d6 + energy drain); ST: 11; SP: damage reduction (half damage from non-magical weapons), energy drain (1 level, save negates), immunity (all mind-affecting and enchanting magic), regeneration (2 hp/round), seduction (target dominated, save negates); MV: 12; CL 10; XP 1,400.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The yakshini are exsanguinating an unfortunate band of travelers while their entourage watches on, admiring their beauty.
- The yakshini entourage pose as the remnants of a royal caravan trying to make their way home.
- The yakshini entourage is harassing a small band of helpless travelers.
- The yakshini entourage is returning to their lair with new prisoners and captured goods.
- The yakshini entourage is marching toward a distant site, summoned by a necromancer of great power.
- The yakshine entourage is patrolling the region in service to a powerful necromancer or undead master.