For my next post in the A-Z Challenge, I will be posting a Sandbox Encounter concerning a rather repulsive race of humanoids common to the depths of the Madlands. V is for Vulturan.
Brief Description: The Vulturan are a race of flightless vulterine people that have, until the War of All Gods, dwelt in relative seclusion in the hills bordering the Great Plains of Cameria. Since the Madlands have become warped and shattered, the Vulturans have found themselves traveling further and further from their homeland. Humanoid in appearance, Vulturans are covered with feathers ranging from a dull ocher to a dark charcoal in color, with a birdlike face and beak. Vulturans have poor personal hygiene and crude behavior, and are regarded as second-class citizens in many regions where they are encountered, often relegated to positions as guards and low-class mercenaries.
Encounter Groups: These are common encounter groups for this type of encounter.
- Novice (levels 1-3): 5 Vulturan Mercenaries, 1 Vulturan Lieutenant. 2d6x10 silver shillings. (I use a silver standard in my campaigns.)
- Seasoned (levels 4-6): 15 Vulturan Mercenaries, 3 Vulturan Lieutenants, 1 Vulturan Captain, 1 Vulturan Warlord. 2d4x1000 silver shillings, 1d3 gems, 1d3 jewelry, two consumable items (50% chance each), and one magic item (50% chance).
- Veteran (levels 7-10): 30 Vulturan Mercenaries, 6 Vulturan Lieutenants, 2 Vulturan Captain, 1 Vulturan Warlord. 2d6x1000 silver shillings, 2d4 gems, 1d4+1 jewelry, one magic weapon (50% chance), one magic armor (50% chance), two magic items (50% chance each), and two consumables (50% chance each).
Stat Blocks: The following stats are provided as examples for inspiration. Please adjust as needed to fit your preferred gaming system and style.
- Vulturan Mercenary: AC 8 ; HD 1d6+2 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d6); ST: 16; SP: Poor hygiene (-2 on reaction rolls), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 12; CL 1; XP: 15.
- Vulturan Lieutenant: AC 5 ; HD 2d6+4 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d6); ST: 15; SP: Poor hygiene (-2 on reaction rolls), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 9; CL 3; XP: 60.
- Vulturan Captain: AC 5 ; HD 4d6+8 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d8); ST: 13; SP: Poor hygiene (-2 on reaction rolls), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 9; CL 5; XP: 240.
- Vulturan Warlord: AC 2 ; HD 8d6+16 hp; Atk: by weapon (1d8); ST: 9; SP: Poor hygiene (-2 on reaction rolls), resilient (+2 on saves vs heat and cold effects); MV: 9; CL 9; XP: 1,100.
Encounter Ideas: Here are six different scenarios related to this encounter type.
- The vulturans challenge the party, demanding tribute to avoid unwanted attention from the mercenaries.
- A seemingly innocent campsite serves as the lure for an ambush by the vulturans.
- Seemingly unworried by the party's warskill, the vulturans attempt to negotiate for food, trade goods and general supplies.
- The vulturans are returning to their encampment after retrieving their monthly tribute from a nearby settlement.
- The vulturans are patrolling the region when the party encounters them.
- The vulturans are transporting prisoners back to their encampment when the party comes upon them.